Do You Need an Attorney to Process Your Pardon?


While processing for a pardon sounds like a task only people with experience in the legal department can do, you can actually do it yourself, too.

Ordinary people seem to rely on lawyers to do all legal tasks for them. While this is not entirely a bad move, it’s highly expensive. In other words, if you don’t have a budget for it, you might find it hard to get a lawyer to process your pardon. Luckily, you have cheaper options.

Aside from hiring a lawyer, you can also do one of the following:

Hire a Pardon Service Agency

There are a lot of pardon service agencies which you can find on the internet. You can choose one if you don’t want to prepare your own documents. You’ll still pay them, of course. However, their service fee is much lesser than that of a lawyer’s, so you will be able to save money.

Since application for these services are usually done online, you have to be vigilant. You have to be wary of scams. To make sure that the service provider is reliable, get as much information about them. Do they have an office you can visit in person? How long have they been in business? Are there bad reviews about their services?

Apply for a Pardon Personally

If you have the time, then you might want to apply for a pardon personally. It will be taxing, but you’ll save loads of money. To do this, you need to know the Canadian pardon process.

  1. Get your criminal record. To do this, you need to go to the local police and have your fingerprints taken. Send your fingerprint form to the Royal Canadian Screening Services and wait until they give you your criminal record.
  1. While you’re at the local police, you might want to get your Local Police Records Checks for all the places you’ve ever lived in before, too.
  1. If you have other convictions that are not reflected in your Criminal Record, you must get a Proof of Conviction for these.
  1. Also, if you have completed your sentence four years ago or less, then you need to obtain your Court Information.
  1. Request for a Military Conduct Sheet if you have been a member of the Canadian Forces before.
  1. If you were not born in Canada, provide a copy of your Immigration Documents or your Citizenship proof.
  1. Fill up the Pardon Application Form and pay $50 for the application fee.
  1. Send all the documents you’ve gathered, the Pardon Application Form, and the fee to the National Parole Board. Wait for their decision.


No matter what you choose– a lawyer, a pardon service agency, or yourself, you have to remember that the decision still lies with the National Parole Board (NPB). They are the only ones who will decide whether you will be pardoned or not, and they say that the person applying for the pardon has no bearing on their ruling.

(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)